The Official Site of Genevieve Tan Shu Thung

Mother puppies, and my unfinished glossary and indexes



For the past few days, I have been busy being a mum to 5 newborn pups. They were found abandoned in the park thanks to Schumann (our household Schnauzer). Two out of the five suffered from very bad skin condition (one infested with maggots), and one had hypoglycemia and is still suffering from a nerve-disorder. Wrapping them in a towel, we brought the home and it was a blessing indeed because it rained heavily soon after.


They were merely a few days old. How could a person throw them out and expect these little ones to battle the horendous weather and terrible air quality still remains a big question mark in my head. These are lives. Looking at them, one could easily guess that they were hardly 4-days-old. None of them had their eyes open yet. 

I have never raised a pup before in my life. Holding these tiny little creatures in my hand brought a sense of awe, but I also experienced fear at the same time. No one can ever do a better job caring for them than their mother. Though there may be some exceptions, that is usually the general rule.

I had to learn everything from zero. The first thing we did was of course to go shopping for milk. I believe that whenever one does a good deed, there will be a higher force that helps one fulfil it along the way. It was already 10:30pm at night, where are we to find any special milk powder formula for puppies?! Although we are regular patrons at Tesco's, we never came across any milk powder formula for dogs before. Lining up on the shelves at the pet section were only non-vegetarian dog food, some grooming items and colourful pet toys. 

Although we were ready to buy some cow's milk powder for them, we decided to take a chance and went down the pet aisle to see if there was anything more suitable. Voila! There it was. Something that was never there for the past 1 year plus had suddenly made a miraculous appearance on those shelves that fateful night - special milk powder formula for puppies. As I have said earlier, whenever one does a good deed, there will always be a higher force to help one fulfil the mission along the way so long the intention is pure and sincere. We also got them a small bath tub and a milk bottle for feeding.

The next challenge was to feed them. Feeding with a milk bottle can be quite an arduous task. The pups were not even used to drinking from a bottle. They preferred to suck my fingers than to suck the bottle. I had to squeeze bit by bit of the milk out from the bottle around their mouths for them to lick bit by bit. This took up to one hour to feed all five of them. What was harder was having to feed them every 2-3 hours. 

While many will disagree in giving newborn pups a bath, I believed it was important as this will help them disinfect any possible bacteria that may worsen their skin condition further. After bathing them, we shaved the pup infested with the maggots and started using natural ways to remove those pests off the baby. Interestingly, the wound healed after 2 days.

It was important to track the puppies' weight, and so I got a weighing scale to do just that. This will help us track if we are feeding them enough. To track their weight, I had to name them. All five names were reflective of their character or condition:

1) Orbit - the one that suffered from hypoglycemia and a nerve problem kept circling round and round non-stop.
2) Sage - was the quietest one of all.
3) Arctic - his fur was the thickest, and makes him look like a polar bear. (See the image above)
4) Kraft - a German name for strength for the pup that suffered from maggots infestation.
5) Klein - another German name for "small". He is the smallest sized of them all.

I changed Kraft's name yesterday however because she is a female. I didn't think Kraft sounded very nice on a female dog. Since her eyes opened fully, she has been exploring the entire living room. Therefore, I named her Kiara (after the female lion cub in The Lion King). In the movie, Kiara was very adventurous too, a quality which our pup reflects very well. Besides, one would be amazed at the strength that our Kiara possesses. She can really hold onto your finger and not let go!! She definitely lived up to her initial name "Kraft" (strength).

Just yesterday, all of them had opened their eyes except Arctic. They have started exploring the place. They are becoming easier to bottle-feed day-by-day. They love sleeping on my legs and this is where the dangerous part comes in - attachment. Eventhough I am not their mother, I begin to feel like one as I watch them grow up. I know that we will have to give these puppies away soon because I simply cannot keep all of them due to my hectic schedule. Although I would like to keep one, I find it so difficult to choose. I love all of them equally. This has been quite a dilemma for me.

Anyhow, I have not been writing for the past one week.  I better catch up soon or I will be having a writing stampede end of this year. All that are left are the Glossary and the Index for the 'Handbook for Vibrational Healing' book. I do not understand why is it so difficult for me to just complete these two sections and set myself free!?! Every single time I think of the Glossary, I feel like sleeping. I have never done an index before. Looking at the list of words that are to be placed in my Index makes me feel like ripping the entire book apart. This is how I feel at the moment and I hope these feelings go away soon so that I can publish this piece by next month!

Love and light,
Genevieve

0 comments:

Recent Posts

Relevant Websites

  • Follow Genevieve on Twitter

  • Sandhya Maarga Mission

  • Sandhya Maarga Holistic Living Academy





  • Genevieve's Photo Gallery